Friday, December 13, 2013

Creating and Creativity


I think that art is all about creativity.  It’s about materializing a vision in your own head and putting it on display in any kind of way in order for others to see your vision.  When another person understands what you are trying to convey through your art, it’s a great feeling because one piece can be interpreted in so many different ways. 
Our book asks us what is creativity? Are we born with it? Can it be learned? I kind of feel that we are born with creativity.  I think it’s something that someone can always admire or appreciate but not something that everyone has.  As an artist I think that you can instantly tell if someones creative, like an artist to artist intuition.  It’s hard to explain why one person is not as creative as someone else but it’s just something that you can see.  You don’t just see it in that persons artwork you see it in their way of life.  
I believe that expressing the way that you are creative is art.  Conveying your beliefs and emotions in a unique way is art.  

My favorite quote from the section Creating and Creativity is:
“psychologists agree that creative people tend to posses certain traits: ...they redefine problems and seek connections between seemingly unrelated ideas.” p.12
I think that that is something that I see in every artist. They can draw conclusions from crazy places. An artist can relate two ideas that seem to have nothing in common and give you long explanation as to why they relate. I think that’s the ultimate type of creativity.

Ernst Haas. Peeling Paint on Iron Bench, Kyoto, 1981. Kodachrome print

Mike Kelly. Kandors Full Set, detail. 2005-09. Cast Resin and Blown Glass




No comments:

Post a Comment